Sunday, October 29, 2006

Transitions


We had our big "transition" meeting for Lora last week. Mark and I met with four people from the Seattle School District and they asked us a bunch of questions about Lora and her development. The day that she turns three, she is out of Boyer, which has been our "safe" place for over two years now. I actually think this is why I had my mini break-down a couple of weekends ago. It was our first meeting about Lora's education that her teacher Mary Ellen wasn't present for. I was dreading it.

Its a really long story, but the meeting was good. We brought Lora with us and of course, she charmed them. The people were nice, not the "big, bad" school district like I expected. I again came away from the meeting realizing what an incredible little girl we have been blessed with. She has so far exceeded her original diagnosis. I am so thankful for her! And yet, I'm nervous about leaving Boyer and every time I think about it, I still get teary. We have some big transitions ahead of us, but I'm sure we'll make them and she will continue to become the incredible little person that God is helping her to become.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi TM,
My mom works with
"differently advantaged" mainstreamed kids in public schools--she tells me about the types of kids she works with sometimes. Mostly they are autistic or behaviour problems. Once there was a little blind girl in her group. She was the happiest, most "normal" little girl, who required almost no help from my mom. I could just picture her playing on the playground and talking to everyone. I know you don't like the word "normal" but she was, only maybe a little bit more of a personality shining star than the other kids in her class. I can't remember the details of some of the precious things she said, but I just remember how much fun she sounded, fun to be around.
Anyway, I know little Lora will thrive and be a blessing to those around her even in the hard times.
~Robyn

Anonymous said...

hey, I just wanted to clarify the word normal--we ALL have our handicaps when dealing with society. In a school environment, normal may mean the kids who are able to participate in the classroom activities, but so what? We are all limited in some way, emotional or physical or both. God is not limited by our limitations!
Robyn again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Robyn...yeah, I think Lora is about as "normal" as it gets...if not "abnormal" just because she is so special and smart...not that I'm partial. Mark and I wonder often if she would be different if she didn't have her challenges, if her personality would be different. It all goes into making her who she is. I'm not saying that if tomorrow, she could be fully sighted that I would say "no", but what we have is so good. Its hard to imagine her any other way.

It helps me to know that its teachers like your mom who are working with the special kids in our schools, its comforting!