Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Aprons and Bags and Fabric...Oh My!

I kind of went on a fabric "binge" last week...I bought fabric for about 7 aprons and 3 bags or so...then RLG got me some more fabric for a bag...I'm like a kid in a candy store every time I go downstairs and look at it all...so many pretty colors and patterns.

My favorite fabric designer right now is Amy Butler, check her out www.amybutlerdesign.com I love her fabric and patterns so much! It is all so pretty on line, but so much better in person.

I've been looking for some kind of business that I could do for a couple of years, as a stay at home mom. Its hard to find something that pays enough to make it worth spending the time...I knitted baby hats for awhile but never really sold them, I ended up giving them to Lora or other friends. I really enjoy creative things like knitting and sewing, but don't know if I could ever make a business out of it. I saw a woman in Red Robin awhile ago wearing the coolest apron/blanket thing that was covering her up while nursing her baby and I thought "Why didn't I think of that!" And now I see them on e-bay and etsy all the time....

I started making aprons for us to wear at Mosaic and often have customers ask me if I sell them, then for Christmas this year, I made bags for family/friends and they went over pretty well...so, recently, I've had two friends from Lora's school ask me to make items for them...one bag and one apron...so, I think I'm going to try and make a couple of things for profit. Its hard for me because if someone says to me, "How about $20 for a bag?" I always answer, "Great" even though I have about $20 of materials in each one...its hard for me to say what I really think they are worth, thinking that no one will ever pay me that....

I've looked at www.etsy.com a lot and thought about posting some things I've made on there, but it intimidates me...I immediately question whether my stuff is good enough quality to sell on-line...I think I am going to start working on some things in preparation for Fall craft fairs and just go for it....we'll see if I actually do it, or just end up giving everything away...not that I'm that nice, just insecure, I think I need to get over that...

So, anyone have a fun creative name for a sewing, possibly some knitting, business that mainly makes aprons, bags and maybe baby hats? (Maybe I need to narrow my ideas!)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

ooooo...a challenge! I love that! I'm getting out my thesaurus and thinking cap and will get back to you!

Anonymous said...

you should totally do it! sounds like a fun way to make some extra $$. you should try etsy...you never know what will happen.
not sure about a name; but just wanted to let you know i thought it was a great idea!

Red Letter girl said...

I love, love my aprons and bags. It's fun to have a little surprise to wear at Mosaic. I do get a lot of compliments on them and it's so worth putting them out there.

Church ladies unite!!