Friday, September 07, 2007

Time and Perspective

Last week, we took Lora to her annual eye exam...which is always an ordeal. It usually lasts about 2 hours because by the time we get in the office, have her tested by the assistant, checked by the Doctor, eyes dialated, wait 20 minutes, and go back in...its been about two hours. Plus, getting a 3 1/2 year old to open her eyes volunterily and look in a bright light or keep them open long enough for the doctor to see the back of her eye is a huge thing. We bribed her first with chocolate, then with a treat in the caffeteria and finally with a trip to Toys-R-Us before we were done and by the end it was me holding her on my lap, Mark holding her legs down and the assistant holding her head while Dr. Grace physically pried her eyes open...(BYW, I really don't like our opthomologist's assistant...don't know why she just rubs me the wrong way and I almost asked her to stop talking this time, but I held it together.)

So, needless to say, I felt that Lora deserved a $10 Little People toy for her trauma. While we were there, Will went to Paya's house for a playdate and when we got home, this is the conversation I overheard from the TV room...

Will: Lora, when you went to the eye doctor did they give you medicine so you can see better now?
Lora: Nope, still can't see....
Will: Oh...

I have to admit, it cracked me up. Its funny how the things that would have sent me into a fit of crying a year ago make me laugh now...Its true how time and perspective help everything - and I'm sure God has something to do with it too...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved when asked me if the Doctor was going to fix her eyes. I said "Do you think they need fixing?" and she promptly replied - "no, I guess they see what they are supposed to see". The wisdom of children. I thank God every day for this little girl and I can't think of a thing I would change if it would change who she is. She got a letter from her new preschool teacher. It was about 6 sentences long. Christa read it to her one time and then I read it to her another time 2 hours letter. She then proceeded to sit down and read it herself. Which she did almost word for word (I say 85%) which included inflection. I was at the dinner table and amazed at this little girl that was repeating back almost word for word what she had heard twice. She really does amaze me. I think she has an audiogenic mind - something like photogenic - but through hearing. She listens and grasps concepts and language like no 3.5 year old I have ever met. Must take after her smart father..Can't believe her when she uses words like content and correctly! I love my kids and their mom aint half bad either.

Anonymous said...

So I need to share a few Lora sayings that where said to me this evening:

First, as I am sitting next to the bondfire I get some fashion advice "You look pretty in that green hat". Which spawned into a big discussion on the seahawks and my preping her for the season of cheerleading ahead.

Second, she wants to wear the green seahawk hat. In which a few minutes later says, "I love my hat, that you don't have." Hmm, she's learned the art of stealing with such grace.

Third, later in the evening as I am playing with her hair, "I love you, now leave me alone." AHHH! Got to laugh.

The Pastor Mommy said...

I wasn't really sure how to get a hold you guys so thought I would try here. Just wanted you all to know that we love and miss you guys a lot. How are things going? Email me: pattonga@gmail.com - I would love to catch up.