Tuesday, March 27, 2007

To Sleep Over, or Not to Sleep Over.....That is the Question

Okay, so I have a delimma...one of Will's friends from school has asked him to sleep over, repeadedly. So far, I have held it off but his friend's mom is becoming more and more persistent. And neither Mark, nor I is ready for this venture yet.

We actually discussed this months ago, along with playdates and the like....we were both nervous about sending him off to other people's homes, especially school friends that we don't know that well yet. We are perfectly happy to have friends over here, but letting him go is more difficult....so, a couple of months ago, I let him walk to school with his friend and his mother and its gone on from there. He's had playdates, one even all day, at others homes, etc. I had let my guard down. So, when the overnight was mentioned - I was wishy-washy. I didn't stick to the planned answer of "Not until he's 25..." So, now I'm caught having to say something official to my friend, risking offending her - "Its not you, its me...." Haven't we all heard that somewhere before? But, I really mean it in this situation. I really think he would be fine, etc....I'm just not ready for that step in his life - and if I'm 100% not ready, his father is 150% not ready!

So, I was up until 3am this morning stressing about what to say, how to say it. I know I'm overreacting. I keep imagining if the shoe were on the other foot, I wouldn't be offended, I would understand....she is a wonderful, caring woman that I really like and I just don't want her to ever feel like it has anything to do with them...So, I am asking for advise. Anyone have any????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't Will in preschool? I'm shocked you're already having to think about this. Maybe that's your answer - he's too young!

Red Letter girl said...

When I was probably three or four, I begged my mom to spend the night with a family we were having dinner with that night. They had older kids, but the couple was willing to take me over night. I thought I wanted to go because they had Coco Puffs for breakfast and my mom refused to buy sugared ceral! (Yes, even then I was under the sugar influence!)

To make a very long story short, they had to call my parents in the middle of the night to take me home because I couldn't do it...I was scared, out of my comfort zone and was even willing to give up the Coco's. My mom had to pick me up at Lloyd Center at about 1:00 am. Nice huh??

Payback is a beatch...because Brent did the same thing to me when he was about the same age. I met his folks at a gas station at about 1:00 am also...

So...don't do it!! And...you don't need any other explanation other than "thanks for the offer, but we think he's too young."