Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Christmas Time is Here...

We're watching "Charlie Brown Christmas" this evening. I love Charles Schultz's version of the Christmas story...its so great and it makes me cry every time Charlie Brown asks, "What is Christmas all about anyway" and Linus steps out and starts quoting the well known passage out from Luke's gospel. Its funny, because when I was in 5th grade, we did "Charlie Brown Christmas" in my school, public school. I was Lucy....I know surprising, that someone like me with such a retiring personality was cast as Lucy...its called acting.

Anyway, whenever I watch the cartoon, I'm reminded of that experience, I remember some of the lines and I'm surprised as Linus starts talking that we were able to quote from the Bible in public school. Of course, it was the dark ages...

I've been thinking a lot about Christmas this year. I was talking with a friend the other day about presents, buying them, not buying them, what to do. Everyone that we buy for has everything that they could ever want or need and more. Mark and I have talked seriously about donating to Heifer International in everyone's name...buying various bunnies, chicks, geese, bees, etc and calling it a day. I'm still not sure what we are going to do.

I'm torn. I completely agree that Christmas has become something that I don't think it was intended to be. It is commercialized and every year I stress out over what to buy for everyone and I hate that. There are so many people in the world that need so much....but, I also think that honoring the people I love in my life is important, showing them that I thought of them is nice, and putting myself aside and thinking of them is good too. I want it to be different, definately...but I don't know if that means not buying presents for my loved ones. I fear that if we just decided to donate, across the board....for me, it might be a cop out. I fear that if I decide to do that it will be out of laziness. I don't know if my motives are pure.

I wonder, for me, if the greater gift would be to actually THINK about my loved ones, try to find something (even something small) that they would ACTUALLY like. Not just going down the list and quickly getting something just because it is expected but to actually think about the person and honor them with something that lets them know I actually thought about them. I don't know...its just what I've been pondering. You may all get a goat or actually part of a goat, because a whole goat is really expensive. I guess I just keep thinking that sometimes I'm not even very good at putting my families and loved ones needs above mine, let alone the rest of the world, maybe Christmas would be a good time for me to show them that I do appreciate and love them, even if that means a hand knit scarf, a CD I really thought they would enjoy or a tin of ginger snaps from Williams Sonoma....something to think about.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you can come to a point of resolution with this...it is a tough struggle. Not that I've figured it all out, but it's nice to be in a place that is not filled with the tension and uneasiness that I've felt in the past. I feel so at peace about what we're doing this year, and I know for a fact that at least a few of our family members think it's a great idea and are going to participate! I know that our meager donations won't change the world, but I know they will be appreciated.
Anyways, I know it will turn out great, whatever you do, as long as it's from your heart.

Red Letter girl said...

I have tension about so many other things in life that I'm not going to allow Christmas to be one of them. I am a giver by nature and those that know me, know that I take extreme care in what I give because I love those that I am giving to...so I'm not about to feel bad about it or feel like I should be doing something different.

It's the one time of year that I get to give freely to those that I love - the other 364 days I'll feel bad about things I don't do...but this day is all about giving good gifts as my Heavenly Father has given me!

TheologyMom said...

See Heidi, you are my idol. I don't feel bad about buying presents. I feel bad that I'm not good at it. I usually end up stressing about getting just the right thing and then never feel like I do. That is my main stress. Or, I just give up and buy something without thinking.

That's all I'm saying, I love the idea of buying presents and showing others that I care...I'm just not good at it. So then I stress and I don't want that this year. I want to be better.

Anonymous said...

Christa, thanks for thinking about Heifer International. I work for Heifer and have an idea that might help resolve your tear between giving things and giving Heifer. Why not do both, a little something to wrap for under the tree and a Heifer gift that can help others. That's what I do, even before going to work for Heifer last year.

I'd also like to introduce you to a program we have just put into place to let bloggers like you help us help the poor and the hungry by asking your readers for support. Just go to www.heifer.org/onlinecommunityfundraising

Thanks again for thinking about Heifer.

Anonymous said...

What did you end up doing Theology Mom for presents etc? This year we drew names with all the adults and gave stocking stuffers to the rest. Stocking stuffers are great! It is actually fun to buy a 5-10 $ gift!--a movie ticket, nike socks, a dish towel, lotion, a magazine...the possibilities are endless! :)
robyn