Saturday, December 16, 2006

Namaste Ghandi

Mark and I watched the movie "Ghandi" this afternoon. I had never seen it before and was incredibly moved by the life of this man. He was an amazing human being who stood up for people and urged people to stand up for themselves and others using nonviolent resistance. Much like Dr. Martin Luther King. It was a great movie and I highly recommend it.

There is a word that is used in India and other Eastern cultures that I've always wondered about. The word is "Namaste". It is used as a greeting often said with a bow and hands put together at the person's heart. I wondered what it meant, so I looked it up. There are many meanings, but in a spiritual context, here are a few of the meanings I found:

I salute the Light of God in you.
I bow to the divine in you.
The God in me sees and honors the God in you.
May the God within you, bless you

A beautiful phrase with beautiful meanings, if I do say so myself. Just another example of something that we can learn from other religions...so I say to you all, my friends, with my head slightly bowed towards you and my palms pressed together in front of my chest..."Namaste"

2 comments:

Ariah said...

Amen, Namaste is a beautiful word. Shane talks about it in the book irresistible revolution, which you should definitly read if you haven't.

peace,
ariah

TheologyMom said...

I love Irresistible Revolution...it is my favorite for this year!