Thursday, April 19, 2007

Dennis

I made a new friend last night at Mosaic, his name is Dennis. I had seen him at the coffeehouse before but hadn't had the chance to talk with him. Dennis has long grey, crazy looking hair with matching mutton chops, he's missing the bottom half of his teeth - he's not someone I would normally find myself talking with.

He came in last night while Heidi and I were working - it had been a slow night up to that point - he had a couple newspapers (of the 5 that he reads daily, I later learned)...ordered a soy chai and started talking to me. I found out that along with reading the 5 newspapers, Dennis is a Seattle cabbie who once was on the news because he decorated his cab for Valentine's day called it the "love cab" and sang love songs to his passengers, he once got a $450 tip from a faire for singing "Winter Wonderland", he wakes up at 3am most mornings to start his day in order to make ends meet, he would love to be able to come to church sometime but he has to work 7 days a week just to make it. Oh, and the funniest thing - he went to King's Garden Christian School from K-12 - we graduated from the same high school...so we talked about our school - the fact that it used to be a TB santatorium...that the Chemistry classroom was the old morgue...about the underground tunnels that we all used to play in...

I liked Dennis...I was surprised by Dennis...I had things in common with Dennis...I might not have ever found that out were it not for a coffeehouse in the basement of a church...I am amazed by all that God is doing and feel blessed to even be a part.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

man that is crazy! I wish I was there - now I am mad that I decided to do something different. Do you know how old Dennis is?

TheologyMom said...

He's old. He went to Kings in the late 50's early 60's...very quirky but nice, he's lived in Seattle forever and has lots of fun stories about the city too.

Red Letter girl said...

Isn't it cool that that is all God ever wants is for us to be a part of what he is already doing - and it took me so long to figure it out! Damn!

Lori said...

i saw dennis in the u district today!
i said to ben, "that's dennis."