Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Reflections on a Week (well 3 days) of Full Time Work...

I haven't worked full-time, outside of the home, for pay since before Will was born. Its funny because I really love being a stay at home mom, but sometimes feel like I need validation that I still can use my brain above a Kindergartener's level...

Well, this week, I have had my opportunity to work full time again, only not for pay. Due to vacations and sickness, I have been working at Mosaic three straight days from 8:00-5, 6 or 7. I'm exhausted and not any richer than I was last week, but its been fun too. I normally volunteer in the evenings so I've met a whole new crowd this week. Lots of moms with kids some of whom go to school with Will, college students, business people who have meetings here, Dick's employees...its really an eclectic crowd. Its fun to hear people tell other people, "This is our family's favorite new spot in the neighborhood"...Its been really busy today and I handled the morning and lunch rush all by myself without cowering in the corner in tears...or yelling at anyone.

I'm so proud of this place and so happy to be a part of it...But, after this week, I realize why I don't work full time. Its hard as a mom with two small children to work a full day, go home, make dinner, still do the laundry, try to clean your house, give baths, read stories, get kids into beds...Did I mention that Mark is the one who's been sick this week and he's done what he can...I went and got Will from school yesterday and dropped him off at home and Lora cried and didn't want me to leave. I shut the door and could still hear her crying as I walked back down the street to the coffeehouse...realizing with each step why I'm a stay at home mom...

So, I've had a fun three days...I'm exhausted, my house is a pig sty and I've probably gained 5 pounds from bagels and Pumpin Pie Chai Teas...but I was reminded that I can converse with adults, I really do like helping other people and I can make some beautiful foam....so its all good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to post pictures of the halloween costumes - they where both so cute!