Saturday, March 08, 2008

Happy Birthday....to the most stubborn little girl in the world...

Yes, today is Lora's 4th birthday...normally, on my kid's birthdays, I blog in some sentimental way about the day they were born, how my life changed forever the moment I looked into their eyes...which is true. But, today I am thinking more about Lora's stubornness.

Through no fault of her own, Lora is not potty trained yet. Yes, I know, she is four today and not potty trained. Honestly, I've been avoiding it, not because of some deep seeded need to keep her a baby...simply because I've tried a couple of times and she simply refuses to potty on the potty and I do believe she is the most stubborn child I have ever met. So, throughout the last year I've tried a couple of times and lost heart thinking maybe she's just not ready, maybe we've finally found the area in which she is developmentally behind....Anyway, a couple of days ago, Mark and I just decided that its time and that during the day, she will not wear pull-ups. The crazy thing is that outside of our home, she has had no accidents. She made it through two days of school completely dry but, at home, its a different story. She peed one time on the potty yesterday and had one accident. Then, this morning, she woke up dry...I put her on the potty - nothing...we started pumping liquids into her and I sat in the bathroom with her for a total of 3.2 hours (give or take a little) and NOTHING. We had begging, we had tears (from me and her), we had bargaining, we had threatening, we had tag teaming between both Mark and I because I needed a break...and no pottying on the potty...but lots of peeing in her pants...its been the most frustrating day...she simply doesn't want to potty on the potty so she won't....I don't think she can spend the rest of her life on the toilet, but I'm determined to make her sit there until she's done it. I am going to win this battle - I really didn't think there was another human being more strong willed than me, but I've met her. She's drinking a can of Diet Coke right now, so its only a matter of time until we're back in the bathroom fighting it out...

Tomorrow I'll post pictures of her in her Belle dress at her princess party....I'll talk about the day she was born in loving sentances, describing how much I love her - because I do...but today, she's driving me crazy....Even if she did just crack me up, watching Barbie Mariposa when she said, about the fairy prince, "I could really fall in love with that guy if I was a butterfly fairy."

2 comments:

Red Letter girl said...

I was there...I witnessed the potty in the toilet! She's gettin' it...

Diane said...

Oh man...I have soooo been there! My son Cole took FOREVER to train! I tried everything I could think of. Finally, I told him Thomas the Tank Engine would call him on the phone if he went pee-pee in his potty. Ha ha! It worked! (And my friend Larry called him pretending to be Thomas.) He's 7 now and still talks about that call! Ha ha!
By the way, I found your blog thru Heidi. I have been a lurker for a while and thought I would comment today. Because I feel your pain! :)